Monday, August 31, 2009

Just my Luck...

So, things were going so incredibly good with my IVF treatment. My ovaries had responded very well to the stimulation meds and were producing nice eggs. I was so super excited that things were really going to go smoothly. I should have known better... it's just my luck

Sunday morning we had a routine appointment to check my blood and have an ultra sounds. The nurse was quite alarmed at the presence of fluid around my ovaries and the differences between my multiple eggs. She contacted my Dr. and I was ordered to quite taking all meds immediately. Of course I've been doing my injections at 7:30am and 7:30pm, and that morning my appointment was at 8am... I had already done 2 of my injections. This was not good :( So, the nurse informs us that we have to quite this cycle all together or possibly have the eggs retrieved and then frozen. I'd just have to wait to see what my blood work and a few other tests showed.

An appointment was set for today. Of course it was incredibly hard to stay focused all day Sunday and this morning! During my appointment today I had another ultrasound and more blood work. My Dr. was very positive and almost guaranteed that I would have a baby with one of these eggs, it just might not bee as soon as I like. Although I'm super excited that he is so positive and feels so good about my progress, I'm really sad that we may have to wait once again.

There is rare event that occurs in approximately 5% of women undergoing my type of ovarian stimulation for IVF. It is called OHSS (Ovarian Hyper Stimulation Syndrome). Your ovaries become very enlarged, retain fluid and distend your abdomen. It can be very serious. Of course, although there is very small chance of having this problem... I guess I do.

The good news is, the Dr. informed me that we may have caught it at the right time. There are pretty much 3 scenarios that can play out. One: My estrogen levels are dangerously high and I have to stop this IVF cycle immediately for my own health. This is the worse case scenario as it results in the loss of 20-30 very healthy eggs and leaves me having to start all over again in 3-4 months when my ovaries are ok again. Two: My estrogen levels are too high for an embryo transfer or healthy pregnancy, but they are able to retrieve my eggs, fertilize them and freeze them for a Frozen Embryo Transfer (FET) in 3-4 months when my body is good again. or Three: my estrogen levels are fine and we can go ahead with the retrieval and transfer now as planned.

Of course I want scenario 3! I have gotten so excited about what could be and my dreams finally coming true. I have waited 4 years and to think it may be a reality in 9 months is very exciting! On the other hand, I don't want this at the risk of my life or my babies’ lives. That would not be worth it! I guess when it all comes down to it, I will do what my Dr. feels is the best procedure. He has years of experience and I trust him with my (and my babies) life. He is compassionate and caring and I feel that he wants me to have a baby almost as much as Jason and I do. I feel blessed to have been referred to him and his office.

So, now is the waiting game. My blood work from today should be back before 4, and the Dr. will call me then. I will know how bad my OHSS is and where we are going from here! Waiting to know is very difficult, but by now, I'm a pro! The meds do make me a bit less patient and a bit more irritable than normal (Jason might say more than a bit.. ha ha), but I'm hanging in here. I still feel confident that everything is going to work out just fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment